Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What makes a good Stallion: They really exist!

Artrageous, Standing at stud at Fox Haven Farm


Alright, as some of you might have known I've been a little scarce at the ranch and scanty with my blogging. In all fairness I have started another full time quarter in college, and being the workaholic I am I opted to take on an additional job. While I was nervous about talking to my superiors at the Blue Skies staff  about this, (barns have a code of conduct, one is don't cheat on your barn.) anyone who knows me understands I have a powerful drive to learn. Synergy Performance was just one of those places that I would be crazy to pass up because owners Kristina and Richard Ginn hold a wealth of knowledge that many 'professionals' in this industry could stand a lesson or two from.

While they are not specifically a breeding facility, they have three studs on property. To an outsider that might sound ostentatious, wild, and daring. Mention the world stallion and your mind may form the stereotypical image of wild screaming muscular beast. I certainly recall working at a warmblood facility with a 'renowned' trainer who rode internationally, and handeling her stallions was a matter of life and death. I was pulled out of my boots on multiple occasions, dragged down aisles and ate my fair share of gravel. Eventually, I got pretty good at digging my heels into solid concrete and pretending to be an ancor. But honestly, I'm 105lbs wet, and when a 1400lb stallion wants to turn me into his personal kite, he probably can. In one particularly rank display her 17+hh stud nearly dislocated my shoulder, the trainer asked me if I had 'even handled stallions before,' in a very mocking tone.

Truth is I had, a few stallions. Stallions around mares even. Baroque stallions, thoroughbred stallions, quarter horse stallions. While they were often noisy and easily excitable, they were nothing like the aforementioned demonic dinosaur hybrids priced at $35,000 and up. A good stallion will not only have outstanding conformation that best fits his breeds' standards, but he should be a shining example in personality as well. Sure said self proclaimed world famous' trainers' stud passed on wide chested foals with great shoulders... they looked great if you rode through the bucks and temper tantrums. Being unseated by the young horses at said nameless facility was more common than it was uncommon. A good stallion will in effect, with good handeling, behave exactly like a gelding. I am pleasantly surprised with each interaction of Kristina's studs. (still mentally recovering from the last batch of stallions like some horrible hang over) Kristina's stallions are polite and have a great sense of space, with puppy dog affection. They are walked to and from their stalls with cotton leads and not stud chains. Her stallions are well aware they will be 'disciplined' if they act negatively, but it is always fair... and honestly I have yet to see them cause a ruckus. Less can be said of the mares... : ). Mares...


For visual proof watch this video of Kristina's four year old saddlebred stud on his fourth ride, ever. If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know : ) 
Sure he's poking his shoulder out and moving like a baby, but he's not careening out of control by any stretch of the imagination, despite mares being within earshot. It's just so refreshing for me to see. 


A lot of times when a colt is on the ground, horse owners have a decision to make. A lot of times, I believe, their emotions get the best of them because they want to make the boooouuttiful horses in the whole wide sunny world. All I can ask of horse people is to be rational. If your colt lays in your lap but is cow hocked with weak stifles and a back end that can be described as concave, don't allow it to continue in the gene pool! There are too many horses in the world being laid to rest because they were not bred carefully.

Lets say you end up with a stud who has wonderful conformation and its so sweet your grand kids can ride it bareback in a halter. Unless it is truly a miraculous gift sent down from higher powers and angel trumpets toot every time you open its stall door; I maintain it should only remain a stud if you compete with it. That way the horse will have a reputation, and documents its abilities so you know what to expect from its offspring. If you have a hunter derby warmblood mare, she should be breed to a stud of equal or approximate level of skill AND conformation, and not a grade quarter horse cross because it's a krazy kewl kolor. That's how you end up  with all these wacky backyard friesian rocky mountain walkaloosa crosses you see at every auction. Sure they're friendly, but what are you going to do with a half ostrich, half goat creature?

My last tidbit is be a responsible stallion owner. Know your conformation, your horses' specifically, and the advantages and disadvantages it brings. Let's say, for instance, you are contacted by a client who has a long backed broodmare he wants to breed for a show jumping foal. If you have a long backed stud, you might want to point out the implications, because you will more than likely end up with a foal that more or less resembles a bus. Which is not totally undesirable for some dressage people, but still, not ideal. More about conformation in a later blog! : )

ps: For all concerned I am not leaving blue skies anytime soon, I love my extended adopted family far too much. : ) However I am thrilled at this opportunity presented to me, and I look forward on translating the knowledge I've gained from riding their more advanced horses to our young tbs and rescues. Huzzah for my awesome jobs.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to not breeding just because you can. With the economy in the crapper there are far too many unwanted horses as it is. No need to breed unless you're making a real contribution!

    Half ostrich, half goat- that made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yup, I felt obligated to point out Kristina's studs cause it's just a rarity to find well boned well behaved stallions these days. and they're in training for competition or competing. I love it when people do it right : ) Rescues are important too and all, but we need good studs to have good horses in the future.

    ReplyDelete